Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Interpreters

There were many young men in their 20s volunteering as interpreters. They spoke English, Creole, French and/or Spanish. Olsen was my interpreter-very cheerful and relaxed. You would never know from him demeanor that both his parents were patients in the hospital. He asked me (T) to contact his Uncle Franklin in New York to let his uncle know that Olsen and his parents were OK. I finally reached Uncle Franklin last night; he was relieved to speak to someone who had seen Olsen and his parents with their own eyes. I am in contact with Olsen by e-mail; his mother is being transferred to another facility in Haiti and the family will accompany her. Olsen is anxious to find work. Uncle Franklin is overwhelmed as he now has 4 sisters and 2 brothers in Haiti who have lost everything. Both Olsen and his uncle stress that being alive is most important and that they have faith in God. I will stay in touch with Olsen to see how I can help him and his family in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Tracy

    Just another example of your generous spirit and dedication to sacred service.

    You are loved for all of this
    Donna

    ReplyDelete